Thursday, June 28, 2012

Reflection week 1


This morning in summer school kumu took us down to konia field to see how poi was made by pounding. He tested us on what poi was called in olelo hawaii then asked us if we wanted. I flew by the test but denied with manners, when the activity was done he asked why he did it so early in school. It took some time but at the end we found out it was for the connection from teacher to student.Then  when we got back to class and immediately received  bad news. Well news i'm sure no one wanted to hear but we were getting quizzed on five questions. It turned out to be pretty easy questions. Although in order to remember the questions and responses so it is stuck in our brains we had to test our class mates. When the clock was winding down and down to pau ke kula kumu Kalani took us down to Midkiff learning center. We were given a scavenger hunt and the meaning of the scavenger hunt was to look at the manual for infractions and dress code regulations. When we were done me and my classmates all thought "wow if the first day was like this I wonder how the whole summer school would be like" little did i know it would get better and better when we totally block out our "English" mind. The next day in the beginning of class we moved the desks out and put the mats down to read about the first born Haloa. Haloa was born from papa and wakea. He is the first born. The olelo hawaii was hard but manageable. Then like yesterday we all as a class helped each other study for the quiz outside. After our longest break that lasted 20 minutes we all got singled outside one on one with kumu. I didn't struggle at all with the quiz it was pretty easy when u listen for key words. Anyways after that kumu Kalani taught us a song that made us learn zero through ten, and again for those words to soak in our heads kumu played activities to make us remember. Personally when I first learned the numbers I got stuck from seven and eight, but when we had our final break I studied a little plus a couple more sessions in counting and I could manage. Later when class was about to be pau or finished. He put us in groups and my group was to find the meaning of pepeke aike he. It was easy this is a general statement that states something is a, are a, or am a. Thursday was all review for the test we had Friday. Kumu paired us up with partners yet again to go over everything. Yesterday we learned how to count from 1 to 100. When we were reviewing for the test or ho’ike we went over everything from the five questions we got quizzed, pronouns or papani, four rules for olelo Hawai,counting, and the keao rule for the word the. It was another day filled with information but again I could handle. Even though I was struggling I still could float. Friday was the day of the test tension rose. When the kumu gave me the test paper I was super nervous. Even though later on the test was pretty easy. Studying really made the Hawaiian click and it all made sense. During my study session I had a lot of “aha” moment where something just clicked in my head and it all made sense. Kumu was right when you let go of your English mind everything is so much easier. Later we had a surprise where we played jeopardy. Of course our class won because we are the bomb. That was an intense but yet very fun weekend I couldn’t wait for the next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment